Associate Writing Director, Policy Specialist (Freelance)
Instrument is a digital product and brand experience agency of more than 400 talented people on a dozen different teams, each focused on particular clients and dedicated to producing best-in-class work. Our shift to a remote-first model has only strengthened and diversified our company culture, and we’re committed to career advancement, personal support, and a healthy work/life balance for everyone we hire.
We have an opening for a freelance Associate Writing Director with a strong background in political and policy writing. The chosen candidate will help craft messaging (ranging from marketing campaigns to white papers) targeted at an influential mix of policymakers, press, and elected officials in Washington, DC. A deep understanding of Congressional workings, along with knowledge of key issues and policies, is a must.
If you possess the knack for transforming complex policy topics into engaging and digestible narratives, we're eager to hear from you!
Target Start Date: 02/05/2024
Target End Date: 12/20/2024
Hours: 20 hours/week
What You'll Do
- Write in a variety of styles and formats at the highest level of execution and at a high cadence.
- Ground the work in a deep understanding of the audience and client, pushing on strategic insights to stretch creative opportunities.
- Communicate and present work effectively, and collaborate closely with clients and team members from discovery through delivery.
- Work proactively to find solutions and maintain momentum, and help the team to adapt quickly to evolving conditions.
- Be an advocate of exceptional writing and its role in shaping the work we do collectively.
- Go wide, think big, and bring concepts to fruition with a range of approaches. Give shape to bold ideas through execution.
- Provide constructive feedback to team members via creative reviews and facilitate knowledge share with other creatives.
- Actively incorporate cross-discipline perspectives into your work, collaborating with strategists and designers to drive project success.
- Flag risks and dependencies, anticipating and communicating blockers and delays within your team’s projects, before they require escalation
- Contribute to an environment that is inclusive, safe and welcoming of all.
- Run well-defined processes on projects autonomously, effectively handling risk, change, and uncertainty, even in high-pressure situations.
- Have an exceptionally high attention to detail, helping others improve the quality and detail of their own work.
- Contribute to deepening and furthering client relationships by autonomously deepening self-knowledge of client, industry, and audience.
What You'll Bring
- Deep policy knowledge and fluency in the inner workings of Washington and Congress
- Familiarity in key policies and issues. Tech policy expertise a plus.
- Experience with clients at large fortune 100 companies and/or C-level of startups
- 5-8 years relevant experience in writing for digital products and experiences that have been released to market
- An outstanding portfolio with details on your specific role and contribution
- Range and variety in voice, client challenges, and projectsInnovative/fresh and conceptual thinker
- Content strategy knowledge
- Strong collaboration, communication, and presentation skills
- The expected pay range for this role is $84-103 per hour
- Our company has three regional pay bands that it adheres to depending on your location, we reference them as US 1, US 2, and US 3.
- US 3 is our base pay. Examples of cities in US 3 are Portland, Houston and Miami.
- US 2 pay is 7.5% higher than US 3 to meet the market rates. Examples of cities in US 2 are Los Angeles, Chicago and Seattle.
- US 1 pay is 15% higher than US 3 to meet market rates. Examples of cities in US 1 are Brooklyn and San Francisco.
- If you are curious which region you are in, please apply and get connected with our recruiting team!
Here’s what you can expect once you apply
- We'll review your application and reach out to discuss next steps
- You'll meet with a recruiter and we’ll get to know each other a little better.
- You'll have two remote interviews with key decision makers for the role you’re interested in
- You'll get extended an offer and start!